About Me

I am Wendy in the sense that everyone who had an imaginative childhood must someday grow up. I went from witch princess grand architect to art school student, home owner, and happy wife. However amidst bills and appointments sometimes I find Neverland is still there, I just have to look for it.

Thursday, June 19, 2014

A New Calling

          Everyone wonders what it is they were put on this Earth to do, and many wonder for as long as they're here. However I do think there are some things everyone is meant to be a part of. I am speaking of general wrong righting, easing the suffering of others, and meaningful companionship. These three things I believe are the main ingredients for a meaningful life.
          Whether late in the game or not (everyone's journey must be their own), I am finding myself in need to discuss  the treatment of the LGBTQ community within the LDS Church. The inspiration for this post came from a very good article that I would suggest to anyone as an insightful read.
           http://rationalfaiths.com/homosexuality-can-we-talk-about-it/
          This post is my response to this article.
          First I would like to say I'm sorry if I have ever been the reason anybody has ever felt ignored or unwelcome at church. If I have caused damage it would not be because I attacked anyone but because I did not take action when I should have. A lack of action can be just as damaging as I am well aware.
       
          Next I would honestly like to ask what it is I and others in the church not bearing these particular trials need to do? Here is a list of more specific questions to help guide conversation
          1. As a primary teacher do I need to stop telling the children things like "When you are mommies and daddies...", and "when you get married..." because those are clearly not blessings that are going to be offered to everyone in this life, and that includes other factors besides SSA. Or do we continue to simplify the gospel to them in the most rudimentary form as we do for all gospel principles?
          2. If our children, friends, or family leave the church and pursue a homosexual relationship or marriage because it is beyond their faith to go without such things, do we really need to worry about their salvation?And, as we do with other people who leave the church for other reasons, do we encourage them to change their ways and return to church?
          3. Doctrinally speaking as we offer the comfort that there are many things Heavenly Father will make up for in the eternities, does that mean gay relationships will be accepted in the next life? Do we even need to know that right now?
          4.  When do we get answers and why don't we have them yet?
          5. All people experience many trials and that is life, but why this trial?
          6. Do I ask these questions at all or am I simply being offensive because I have no idea what it's like?
          7. Is there a possibility that the church is ever going to have a prophecy revealing that acting on homosexuality is not a sin? How would we handle that knowledge knowing the current and very strong stance of the church?
       
          These are just some of my own questions and I'm sure I will come up with more. This is really the first post on this blog that I actually hope anyone responds to.
          I will also say to the LGBTQ community that you are not alone in finding disappointment in the bishop's office. It is simply a hard fact of life that faith cannot be found in other members of the church but must be a result of a personal relationship with the savior. I will also say if anyone makes you feel guilty, broken, or confused then I am perfectly confident in assuring you that person is in fact wrong. Even if that person is a stake president. Being made to feel guilty or broken is not how the savior would have you feel under any circumstance.
          Finally I feel the need to say let me be that person. If you need someone to talk to, confide in, feel accepted by, present theories to, I'm your girl. Don't be alone in your feelings. We weren't put on this Earth to ignore the feelings of others, and we were not put on this Earth to struggle alone.
          One more thing. Bishops are often wrong but I also strongly believe that the leaders of this church have a deep seeded love for all of God's children and I don't think we should give up on them.
          And one more thing. I am ready to listen. However if you wish to discuss with me things that are contrary to the official proclamations and stances of the church I will listen, I will not judge, and I will still love you and be your friend, but I will not become anti-mormon on your behalf. Do what you need to do but in turn let me do as I need.
          Let's do this people, let's be better.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you asked these questions since it allows me to see into the minds of LDS LGBT allies. As an LGBT son of God I appreciate all those within the church who try to understand this issue. It wasn't easy for me to find resolution to this issue in my life, but with the Lord's help I have. As a warning, let me preface the remainder of my comments by saying that what I'm about to say is not officially sanctioned doctrine of the church, but that anyone who has a sincere heart, filled with real intent, can ask God if the things I will say are not true, and he will reveal the truth of it to them. Heart and mind. Clarity.

    1. I don't have experience teaching primary but I teach Elder's Quorum and I have found that keeping the gospel simple is far and away the best way to facilitate learning by the spirit.

    2. In following Christ, the best way to interact with those who have chosen to leave the church in order to pursue a loving relationship with someone of the same gender, is to LOVE them. Don't judge them. Don't treat them as if they're going to hell. We don't know what their walk with the Lord entails, but what we do know is that God loves them as they are, and if they are to succeed in their mortal probation, they need to be able to feel the love of God in their lives. You may be the only one who brings that love, so do it well!

    3. There is a saying, "milk before meat" that applies to this question. I can offer my insight as to how the gospel structure easily contains a place of safety and salvation in the kingdom of God for LGBT saints, but it is extra-doctrinal so I won't. Suffice it to say that the Lord has made it know to me that when we are ready as a people, he will open our hearts and minds to see the simple and beautiful truths of eternity that pertain to this issue. Prayerfully seek learning from the Lord and be willing to let go of attachments in order to allow yourself to grow and you will learn all you need to know.

    4. As stated above, we will get answers when we have prepared our hearts and minds for the truth. This truth requires a higher order of understanding many basic aspects of divine truth. The church is a long way from being prepared for such truths so don't plan on a quick resolution to this issue, but you can achieve personal understanding as soon as you are ready if it's your desire to obtain truth from the Lord.

    5. This is a trial of learning to love better. It's for all the world, not just those who experience LGBT issues first hand. This is a natural part of the evolution of society in preparation for the second coming. The only way to navigate it successfully is to love more truly as Christ would love. This trial provides the impetus to teach us these things.

    6. Asking honest questions can never offend a true follower of Christ if it is asked in love.

    7. This is partly answered in 3 and 4 above. Yes, there is a possibility but I'm not sure we'll be ready before the second coming. I hope so, but I'm not counting on it. No doubt, we will lose some when the change comes, but only those who are not built on the rock solid foundation of a personal access to Christ and truth (the spirit of revelation).

    In the mean time, I hope that the church can at least learn to love our LGBT brothers and sisters as the Savior loves them. The world provides very little shelter and is a dangerous place for a struggling, lonely, and confused soul. It should really be our imperative to help these saints find places of safety for their faith and testimonies by not driving them out.

    Thanks for your post. :)

    ReplyDelete